Cohort Follow-up Studies: Cardiovascular Disease(CVD)
Use the Internet and Strayer databases, and recall your readings in Chapter
11 of Introduction to Epidemiology and Chapter 7 of Epidemiology for Public Health Practice to complete this assignment.
In Chapter 11: “Strategies for Preventing Cardiovascular Diseases”
Of imortance to remember is that although most of the cardiovascular diseases and stroke discussed occur in adults, the process of atherosclerosis begins in childhood. With the recent trend of increasing obesity in children and adolescents, preventive strategies must be directed at the younger U. S. population, as well as at the older. Givent the modifiable risk factors, one can deduce the aims for preventive measures:
1. “Prevent and control high blood cholesterol.
2. “Prevent and control high blood pressure
3.” Prevent and control diabetes, when present
4. “No tobacco use
5. “Moderate alcohol use
6. “Maintain a healthy weight
7. “Regular physical activity
8. “Diet and nutrition
That is from chapter 11, “Introduction To Epidemiology Distribution ad Determinants of Disease in Humans, Caroline A. Macera, Richard A. Shaffer, Peggy M. Shaffer,Series Editor: Carleen H. Stoskopf, HSA535-Strayer University
Chapter 7″Differential and Nondifferential Bias”
1:”Differential bias-systematic errors resulting in bias, which affect the comparison groups of a study differently
2 ‘Nondifferential bias- systematic errors resulting in bias, which affect all subjects and comparison groups of a study the same
3. Selection bias- a large category of systemic errors in the performance of epidemiology studies that affect the characteristic of the group of subjects selected for enrollment in a study
4. convenience sampling- a method by which volunteers are approached and asked to participate
5. random sampling- a systematic method of approaching individuals to participate in the study
6. information bias- a large category of systemic errors in the performance of epidemiology studies that result in reduce validity of the information gathered from study subjects.
7. controlling- mathematical transformation of rates ore measures of association to account for external variables; also known as”minimizing confounding,”holding confounders constant,” and eliminating the effect of confounding
8. stratification- separating and analyzing data according to categories of a variable or characteristic
9. adjustment- mathematical transformation of rates or measures of association to account for external variables
The above information is out of the: Introduction To Epidemiology Distribution and Determinants of Disease in Humans
Write a five page paper in which you:
1. Through cohort study designs and other evidence-based management studies, identify the major causes of CVD, and analyze the key steps, including current medications, used to address the disease.
2. Develop at least six leading questions that may be posed to your local health department in regard to mitigating the proliferation of the disease. provide a sound rationale for raising these questions.
3. Based on the six questions developed in Question two (2), provide a rudimentary protocol to disseminate this information to your local community leaders.
4. Recommend six (6) steps that may be given to your current or previous place of employment to prevent the proliferation of CVD. Provide support for your recommendations.
5. use at least seven (7) peer-reviewed academic resources in this assignment. These must come from journal sources.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
1. Analyse evidence-based management, case-control studies, cohorts and randomized clinical trials utilized in clinical epidemiology, and decision making
2. Examine the application of epidemiology to specific diseases
3. Use technology and information resources to research issues in managerial epidemiology.
20 points: ” Through cohort study designs and other evidence-based management studies, identify the major causes of CVD, and analyze the key steps, including current medications, used to address the disease.
20 points, “Develop at least 6 leading questions that may be posed to your local health department in regard to mitigating the proliferation of the disease. Provide a sound rationale for raising theses questions.
20 points Based on six (6) questions you developed in Question two (2) provided a rudimentary protocol to disseminate this information to your local community leaders.
25 points: ” Recommend 7 steps that may be given to your current or previous place of employment to prevent the proliferation of CVD. Provide support for your recommendations.
5 points ” 7 reference (7)
10 points ” mechanics, and formatting requirements