For a hospitality business to be successful, the management team must have a strong purchasing process which includes both selection and procurement. This process must be well-established in order to control costs and deliver the best possible product / service for its target customers.
Choose one major restaurant chain (global chain or regional chain) that uses central commissary and develop a new purchasing process for a single restaurant unit. You will use this restaurant chain as a framework (i.e., the menu, average restaurant size, and management / employee organizational structure) for developing a new purchasing process. Note: You must create your own purchasing process for a single restaurant unit based on the concepts you have learned in the course. Do NOT just report on the restaurant chain’s current purchasing process.
- Choose one (1) major restaurant chain and provide a brief overview including:
- a history of the chain
- the type of cuisine(s) and theme
- the number of restaurants
- the average restaurant size (seating capacity) and layout (both front and back of the house layouts)
- the standardized menu (both food and beverage)
- Describe the restaurant chain’s central commissary including the products it supplies and it doesn’t supply, and analyze how the central commissary benefits a single restaurant unit.
- Select at least three (3) purchasing technologies from the following list: inventory-tracking, storage management, product ordering, product identification, and bar-code reader. Explain how those you have chosen will be used to optimize the purchasing process for this restaurant chain.
- Explain how the new purchasing process for this restaurant unit follows and abides by the five (5) major purchasing objectives. Provide a rationale for each objective.