Interview with a Social Worker
- Interview – You will interview a professional Social Worker. This is someone who meets the following requirements: is currently working in the Social Work field; has completed a Bachelor’s in Social Work (BSW) or Masters in Social Work (MSW); is licensed or eligible for licensure as a Social Worker in Kansas or Missouri.
The following are some questions to help guide your interview. Each item should be addressed. However, please feel free to add your own, additional questions, to your conversation:
- What is your current job role/title/position? How long have you been in this position?
- Can you share why you chose Social Work as a career? When did you decide to become a Social Worker?
- Do you have a BSW or MSW? If you don’t have an MSW, do you plan to go back to acquire it? If you do have an MSW, why did you decide to complete this level of education?
- What do you wish you had learned more about in school?
- What are the aspects of Social Work you like the most?
- What are the aspects of Social Work that are most challenging for you?
- Can you describe an ethical dilemma you experienced and how you resolved it?
- Have you heard of the Strengths-Perspective in Social Work? If so do you utilize it in your work? Can you give examples of how you use the Strengths Perspective?
- What advice would you give to someone who is just beginning her or his career in Social Work?
- Paper – Prepare and write a summary of your reaction and impressions of the interview.
Paper formatting guidelines
- Body of paper is to be 4-7 pages
- double spaced; 1-inch margins in 12-point font
- APA citation (not full format) style
I interviewed with Dr. Dickey, Geri .. She started studying Nursing then she changed to a social worker. She is been in this career for 20 years .
Why do you want to become a Social worker?
First, Because to get a job And I like to talk with people. I like a group work
What is the role of a social worker?
It’s so Universal, Assist systems, Family improvement, help people
What do you think are the most important skills a Social Worker should have?
Ability to engage to people, being Positive is always Helpful .
Tell me about the current issues in social care?
Health care, Social Security ..
Explain the pros and cons of being a social worker?
I need you to answer it
What would a service user expect from you as a social worker ?
Someone listens to them with open mind, they don’t want someone who’s a quick judgment..
Tell me about a time when you had to deal with difficult situation?
One time I was dealing with a lady who a child protection has taken her child away, so she was asked to attend a parenting class to get her kid back. Since she had another child so, she had to find somebody to watch her kid for her while she is in the class. Her husband who is the kid’s dad was a truck driver and he used to take some kind of pills to make him awake, so she ended up by asking her husband to watch the kid for her, he was just got back from his job and was trying to sleep but the kid was crying very much. Then he just woke up without control and started shocking the kid until he died in between his hands. So the family destroyed, the husband was taken to jail and the mom never got her kid back and she lost the other one.. that was the biggest situation I’ve had since I started working in this field.
What experience do you have working as part of team?
I need you answer it
How do you manage your time ?
I manage it as any work, I like to help people even out of my time work but after the situation I’ve mentioned earlier I stopped accepting work after my work time..
Last words you would like to say for this interview?
If you try to get yourself into people’s life, then you’d have to expect the worse ..