Organizations in Action (continued).
Organizations in Action (continued)
Critical Thinking Questions
1. If large organizations are indeed prone to value stability, what can enable them to promote
2. In your view, has the U.S. auto industry enacted new roles and procedures that will ensure that
3. In what situations, if any, should stability take precedence over innovation within organizations?
Handy, C. (1995). Gods of Management: The Changing Work of Organizations. New York: Oxford
America’s car industry: time for a new driver. (2009, April 2). The Economist. Retrieved from
Korzeniewski, J. (2011, January 4). America’s best-selling cars and trucks of 2010 are. . . . In Autoblog.
Retrieved from http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/04/americas-best-selling-cars-and-trucks-of
9.2 Weick’s Model of Organizing and Organizational Adaptation
Critical Thinking Questions
1. What organizational issues facing County General Hospital needed to be addressed to promote
organizational effectiveness and survival?
2. How did Elmer use communication strategies for identifying current and emerging performance
gaps in the organizing process at County General Hospital? How was the identification of
performance gaps at the hospital turned into evidence-based strategies for organizational
3. How can Weick’s model of organizing be applied to evaluating the issue of nurse turnover
addressed in this case? For example, to hospital administrative leaders, how equivocal was the
problem of nurse turnover compared to Elmer Fox’s view of the situation?
4. Was the hospital administration violating the principle of requisite variety? (Hint: Were they
using rules and cycles appropriately to respond to nurse turnover?) For example, how did
Elmer’s research and evaluation plan comply with the principle of requisite variety?
5. Identify how organizational intelligence was developed and stored in the hospital. How well was
organizational intelligence used for guiding organizational activities before the nurse retention
program was implemented? How well was organizational intelligence used in the nurse retention
6. Why were the strategies used in this case for developing, implementing, and evaluating
interventions for promoting nurse retention and ongoing organizational development effective?
7. What strategies were developed in this case for promoting the balance between innovation and
stability within the hospital through continual organizational development processes?
8. What were the slack resources used in this case to energize organizational development activities?
9. What criteria could be used for assessing both outcome and process organizational effectiveness
at the hospital? Assess the levels of output and process effectiveness before and after the nurse
retention program was implemented.
10. What communication policies, processes, and systems for promoting ongoing organizational
assessment, evaluation, intervention, and organizational development were developed in this
case? How effective were these OD interventions?
< pstyle=" color: #7a7a7a; font-family: Georgia, Utopia, 'Palatino Linotype', Palatino, serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17.98611068725586px;">
Click here for more on this paper…….
< pstyle="background-color: #fafafa; color: #666666; font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333969116211px; line-height: 15.75pt;">